Urban Scholar Books is explicitly Reformed in its theology. We are “essentially Reformed” in the sense that we do not focus on any particular denomination or movement. Our beliefs are in line with the core theological tenets of the Reformation: the doctrines of God, of Man, of Scripture, of sin, of salvation, and of the role of the Church. We consider ourselves Reformed in the same way organizations like The Gospel Coalition are Reformed. Urban Scholar Books seeks to keep the gospel of Jesus Christ at the forefront of our beliefs, allowing engagement of the Christian faith to center around this truth.
At its most basic level, Urban Scholar Books ascribes to these essential beliefs:
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.